Prep Time: 15 Minutes Total Time: 15 Minutes
This southern classic is good to keep on hand for a sandwich filling or a snack. For the best flavor, grate the cheese yourself and roast a small red bell pepper instead of using jarred pimentos.
If your mouth is sensitive, omit the cayenne pepper and black pepper. If you prefer more spice, add minced fresh garlic or garlic powder.
For a smoother texture, pulse in a food processor or blender for a few seconds.
- 8 ounces regular or reduced-fat extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 (4-ounce) jar chopped pimentos, drained and patted dry
- 1/2 cup regular or reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a bowl, combine the cheese, pimentos, mayonnaise, mustard, and cayenne and stir to incorporate. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Discount code for 15% off: ACS15
Excerpted from What to Eat During Cancer Treatment.
Copyright ©2009 American Cancer Society. cancer.org/bookstore