Greens with Chicken, Apple, and Blue Cheese
A truly memorable salad includes a variety of tastes and textures. This salad does that by combining pungent blue cheese; chewy, dried cranberries; and a crunchy, sweet apple with a bright acidic dressing. Choose a sweet but semifirm apple you would eat on its own.
Buy a premade spring lettuce mix or make your own, combining arugula, kale, endive, and/or leafy lettuces. For variety, instead of an apple, substitute a pear or grapes.
- 1⁄2 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 cups lettuce mix
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
- 1 large apple, cored and cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1⁄3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons dried sweetened cranberries
Calories from Fat
- In a bowl, combine the shallot and vinegar and let sit for 5 minutes. Add the lemon juice, mustard, and sugar and stir to combine. Slowly whisk in the oil to incorporate (or put into a jar and shake well). Season with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, combine the lettuce, chicken, apple, parsley, blue cheese, and cranberries. Drizzle the dressing over the greens to lightly coat and stir gently to combine.
Discount code for 15% off: ACS15
Excerpted from The American Cancer Society New Healthy Eating Cookbook, Fourth Edition. Copyright ©2016 American Cancer Society. cancer.org/bookstore