Fusilli with Broccoli And Deconstructed Pesto
- 8 ounces fusilli or other shaped pasta
- 12 ounces small broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 3⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- Salt and freshly
|Calories from Fat||170|
- Prepare the fusilli according to the package directions for al dente (just firm). About 2 minutes before the pasta is ready, add the broccoli. Reserve 1⁄4 cup of the pasta water before draining.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil. Sauté the garlic for 1 minute. Add the broth and bring to a boil for 3 to 5 minutes, or until reduced by half, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat, add the pasta and broccoli, and stir until coated with sauce. Add the basil and parsley and stir to combine. Transfer to a bowl and drizzle with the extra-virgin olive oil (if too dry, add a tablespoon or so of reserved cooking liquid). Top with the cheese and pine nuts. Season with salt and pepper.
Explore your local farmers markets. They often offer a wide variety of freshly picked, locally grown vegetables and herbs at reasonable prices.